Saturday, October 15, 2005

When at Charlie's, Pay the Extra Baht

I was just about set to move to Lamai beach and find other lodging arrangements. I just couldn't take that room of mine. However, I followed the advice of one of the BootsnAll members on the message board, and paid the extra 200 Baht ($5 U.S.) for the upgraded room. Night and day. My toilet flushes. I have space for my things. The bathroom walls are tiled rather than dark and mucky. That said, I'll be staying out my Samui days at Cahrlie's Huts. So, I say it again... get the $500 baht room with a fan, and your life will be much better. The basic plan today, after a late night of hanging out in Soi Green Mango (a large, touristy plaza with bars), is to have some food, get a Thai massage, lay out on the beach for a bit, and relax with my book. And, speaking of the book... Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintanance is one of the greatest reads I've ever had the pleasure of taking on. Let's see... what else? Should be in Samui tonight and tomorrow, if I DO NOT go to the full moon party on Ko Pha Ngan. This island is starting to get busy as people pour in in anticipation of the party. Everyone, it seems, is going. I'm sure it's a great experience (once), but I'm still giving serious consideration to heading up north to Chang Mai. However, if I go to the FMP, I'll just stick around Samui and make a night trip out of it. Who knows. That's it for now. PS: despite the fear of bird flu, stick with the chicken. I ate meat last night and as soon as I ate it I knew there would be problems. Nothing major, but a little upset in the stomach. Cheers.

5 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jarrett - My busy schedule today -
12PM - Lie on the beach
1:30 - Massage -
3PM - meet with my buddy and his lawyer about land deal

Sometime today/tonight - meet up with my ex-girlfriend Som, and/or my friend Madeline from Canada who owns a little restraunt up in the jungle; let Hop, from Holland borrow my computer to finish Photoshop poster for a local bar; and, of course, head over to Chaweng to try to look you up, (maybe with Hop, Som and Madeline) unless I get an blogpost from you telling me you're headed here. There is a local Thai music music bar in Chaweng called Khon Nang Kow (people-sit-mountain) I think we should check out. Unless you're headed to Lamai.

I might head back up to Bangkok on Monday to see Ooey again, my blind date from last week. Oooey is a friend of Siriluk's boss at Bangkok Christian Hospital, Dr. Pajaree (I call her Maa Baa, which means Doctor Crazy (I like this nickname because it rhymes, plus it's a play on the Thai classic novel 'Pan Maa Baa' - 'Company of Dogs', kinda the modern 'On the Road' of Thai pop culture; although her real Thai nickname is Ning).

Anyway Oooooey (I don't know how many o's to put in her name) is a cute 27 YO grad student who studies gibbons in the jungle near Kow Yai, which is pretty cool.

She's going to get her PHD at Oregon State in Corvalis and is headed for the US embassy on Tuesday. Thought I might tag along for moral support.

Call me if you can - 070802277 - Happy Trails - G

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, that's 'Company of Crazy Dogs'....

PS book your ticket north soon, before the after full moon party rush...

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't miss the Reggae Pub in Chaweng!

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're there for three weeks. Do the FMP, man. You won't regret it!

 
At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW - Come on to Lamai tonight (sunday)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home