Wednesday, September 28, 2005

John Butler Trio at Variety Playhouse

I caught John Butler Trio last night at Variety Playhouse in Atlanta. I'm guessing that many of you haven't had a chance to listen to the band's music, if you've even heard of them at all, but this is one of the most talented groups out there touring today. I first learned of them from the editor of Paste magazine during our weekly segment with him on Headline News. I jotted down the name "John Butler" and placed it at the back of my brain. Then, this summer, when I was checking out the grids for New Orleans Jazz Fest, that name popped out at me. I had only heard one clip of a song from JBT, the one we played on Headline News, but it was just enough to convince me that there was something special in this band. So, I convinced my buddies that we should check them out in the blues tent on our first day at Jazz Fest. Well, even after seeing Widespread Panic, Dave Matthews, and a host of other bands, we all agreed that JBT was the highlight of the weekend. Anyway, I ended up going to see them last night by myself because it's difficult to convince people to go see an act they've never really heard of... even if it was only $15. Just like they did at Jazz Fest, JBT blew the crowd away - Mr. Butler can pick a guitar like an animal. So, if you happen to get a chance to see them in your town, do it. This is a band we will be hearing for a long time, and they're better than 99% of the crap that's out there right now. By the way, Tristan Prettyman, hailing from Steve Poltz country in San Diego, opened the show and did a great job. She's beautiful.

Back to The Blog

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home