Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Another Song About Mexico

Took this photo of Roger Clyne last night at Smith's Olde Bar - Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers are from Arizona. For those of you who aren't familiar with these guys, here's the two-second history: Used to be called The Refreshments. Had a hit single called "Banditos." The chorus was, "Everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people, so meet me at the mission at midnight - we'll divvy up there..." They also did the theme music to Fox's "King of the Hill." The Refreshments split up and reformed as Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. And that's that. Other songs you may know are "Mexico," "Mekong," and "Down Together." However, they're prolific beyond their hits. Whatever that means. They're a great band, but they sorta make me laugh. These days, I'm so into my improvisational-based rock (which is a snobby way of saying JAM BANDS), that I find myself slightly bored at other types of shows. Actually, bored isn't the right word... this is impossible at a Roger Clyne show. It's just that when I see the Allman Brothers, or moe., or Widespread Panic, I have no idea what they are going to play. Everything is a mystery. But when I see Roger Clyne or Jimmy Buffett (mind you, both being favorites of mine), I go into the show knowing what I will get to hear. That element of surprise is sort of gone. Not only that, but I have to wonder how uninspired the artists are on some nights having to play, say, "Margaritaville" again. Seriously, I can't get up for a Buffett show like I used to. Buffett used to be the center of my world (which is sad), but now it's like I'm going through the motions with him. Roger puts on a slightly less predictable show, always packed with enormous energy, but I still know what's coming out. I'd pay much much more to see these guys come out and NOT play the hits - throw caution to the wind and play some of the less popular songs. I know these hits are what sells and why most people make it out to the shows, but I hope for something more. Life is not supposed to be predictable... that's why we live it and travel and take chances. I suppose I shouldn't be complaining. I'm not. Like I said, Roger puts on an incredible show, and all of his songs are well thought out, meaningful, and catchy. I just don't see how he can keep doing this with the same enthusiasm until he's old - it would be great to see him even when he's grey. Of course, I just have to remember that while I enjoyed myself last night, the first-timers were simply blown away.

Back to The Blog

3 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Blogger Mark E Tisdale said...

Talk about bizarre serendipity. Followed your blog link from Bootsnall (I'm Marksda1 on there) and found this blog about RCPM in the process. I was there Tuesday!

Great show as always, I've seen them many times here and once in Mexico. Definitely wonder how they keep it fresh but it must be something about the energy from the crowd. Roger commented after the show that something really seemed to be clicking Tuesday - why they did that second encore.

They are adding new stuff along the way. I heard Captain Suburbia in Greenville earlier this year. It was catchy but I can't say I entirely identify with it.

Anyway, Later!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Mr. Shife said...

Big fan of RCPM as well. We are going down to Mexico Oct. 15 to see the Circus Mexicus show. I think I have seen them about 10 times live and it is always a good time.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Mr. Shife said...

Have fun in Thailand. I will have to stop back and by and read some of your adventures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home