Saturday, October 22, 2005

Lothar of the Hill People

Hello! I am Lothar, of the Hill People! Just returned from the jungle of northern Thailand where we made several hours worth of treks - we being me, a couple from New York City, and our two guides. Along with those treks, we rode elephants (both ultra touristy AND cruel), ate several amazing meals (the grandest being the veggie dinner cooked by our guide), rode bamboo rafts down the river (touristy in a Disneyland kind of way, photo waiting for you at the finish), happened upon two snakes (please send new underwear), and saw some great scenery. Best, however, was the night we spent in the Karen Hill Tribe village, high in the mountains. Sleeping in a guesthouse of sorts on flat bamboo and light bedding, we enjoyed the fresh, cool, mountain air and enjoyed hanging out with our gracious hosts. There was no electricity up there, so we dined (on our heap of food) by cnadlelight, and then spent the rest of the early evening by the campfire. The second eldest of the host family walked down to the main village to grab a guitar, and Ban, the main guide, and I took turns playing songs. Somde, our sherpa of sorts, sang along to everything and actually knew three or four words. Now, back in Chiang Mai, I checked back into my guest house, cleaned up, and went for my third fitting for my big purchase: 2 suits, 2 shirts, and 2 ties. All for $225... which isn't a tremendous deal, but still very very good, especially considering that I got to choose the fabric and had everything measured to me. And, so long as I was becoming Mr. Fashion Nerd with my light brown and dark navy suits, I had my two custom shirts made for cuff links. I figure I can get a nice dress shirt anywhere, so I might as well make these special. The ties will be chosen tonight when I go back for the final fitting. Needless to say, it has been an interesting experience. I only dread having to cart this stuff back to the states in one piece. Anyway, that's it from here. Tomorrow it is on to the mountain backpacker town of Pai for about three nights. Cheers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home