Saturday, March 25, 2006

Arequipa (with effort)

So, this is my last night in Arequipa before flying off to Lima in the morning for a 14 hour layover. It sounds bad, but I planned it that way. A friend of a friend is picking me up at the airport and we'll hit up a soccer match and see the city before catching my flight to Atlanta. That said... Arequipa is the perfect little hangout city. Not too big. Not too small. Great plaza. On my first full day, I explored the famous Monistary known for its colonial architecture. It's rather expeneive, as things go in Peru, but worth every single penny. In fact, it's right up there with Machu Picchu as the highlight of the trip. Seriously. It had amazing architecture and vibrant colors, and I found myself taking photos like a crazed idiot. Like the lost Inca city in the mountains, you need photos to explain how amazing it is... yet they will do it no justice. Spent the rest of the day hanging out in the Plaza de Armas, reading my book and watching people. Last night was rum night at the hostel... many of the patrons and staff ended up going out after several games of extreme Janga. It was an interesting night. This morning's activities involved watching Liverpool and Everton play on TV, followed by Chelsea v Man City. Once I was able to peel myself off the couch from my Premier League bliss, I spent the rest of the day wandering around the town, relaxing in the plaza, and waiting for my big dinner. Yesterday, while having a drink at one of the blacony restaurants overlooking the plaza, I started to chat with the owner/chef. He invited me to tour his kitchen and impressed me with his Alpaca meat and old world cooking tools. I promised him I would come back for dinner tonight. Amazing. He unloaded huge chunks of Alpaca meat on to my table, slabbed over two black, hot volcanic rocks. "Now, rip with hands!" No forks or knives. Photos forthcoming. Tonight should be a pretty laid back evening... most of us in the hostel are either leaving town or hiking in the area. Arequipa... the perfect place to chill out at the end of a vacation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home