Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Lima and Cuzco

Well, I finally arrived in Peru a little after midnight last night. Spent the night at the airport in the food court with all the other backpackers who end up killing a few hours before making their connecting flights for elsewhere in Peru. Compared to what all this country has to offer, Lima isn't the most popular place to hang out. My 6am flight this morning to Cuzco was amazing, flying over clouds and the snowy peaks of the Andes popping up through the cover here and there. The descent into Cuzco was, for this white-knuckle flyer, less than fun... but also quite a thing to behold. Really, though, mountains should never come that close to your wings. I was met at the airport by Michelle, a Welsh lady who runs the trekking company, Llama Path. With her driver, she drove me around Cuzco (the oldest city in South America) and told me a little of the history. She also explained to me that my trekking group on Thursday will consist of me... and three Swedish girls. I know, this vacation sucks already. I was dropped off at my Hostel (Loki Hostel) and went up to their amazing cafe to throw down some Coca Tea (da da da da da da da da COCAINE!). The tea helps with altitude sickness as we are at 11,000 feet. So far I feel OK, but who know how I will do. Tonight, after catching up on some sleep, I'm meeting an English dude I met on the plane to catch a Copa Libertadores soccer match here in town. We flew over the stadium and it should be quite an event... for those who care, the Copa Libertadores is South America's top club competition. Tomorrow I meet with my group at 6pm to go over the details of our 4 day, 30 mile trek through the Andes, ending at Macchu Pichu. So, that's it for now. Off to drink some more Coca Tea and check out the amazing views.

2 Comments:

At 7:16 AM, Blogger Andrew Iden said...

Wow, three swedish women.....Seriously, this vacation is gonna be LAME

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing you a wonderful, exciting, and safe journey! Easy on the coca tea!
LYMM!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home