Friday, November 30, 2007

PHOENIX :: 11/30 :: Just Hours to Go

I arrived in Phoenix late Thursday night to the unmistakable scent of rain in the desert. When they get wet, the creosote bushes give off a smell that always reminds me of growing up. Ask any Arizonan and they'll agree - it's absolutely wonderful. That said, I'd actually like to smuggle a small bush back to Atlanta on my return. "Oh, this? It's a creosote bush. It's my carry-on."

Today, Friday, was spent sleeping and being lazy. The rain from the night before turned into an all-day downpour, the likes of which I can't really remember from my youth. Now, being that my to-do list for the day didn't go beyond "maybe wake up, maybe shower," this thousand-year flood was more than agreeable... save for the possibility that it might delay my flight out in the morning. But, as they say, you can't change the weather. So, never minding the fact that I'm about to have two-straight weeks of Asian cuisine, we ordered up some Chinese, sat on the couch, and vegged in front of the boob tube for the better part of the evening. Watching Suns games on TV has always been something I've enjoyed with my Mom and Dad. The Suns were our first professional sports team in the Valley, and we tend to hold them quite dear.

Grandma, visiting from Florida, didn't really seem to give a shit.

Anyway, the bags are packed, and in a few hours we'll pick up Nathan and head to the airport... that is, of course if it's not completely underwater. We shall see.

On that note, it'll be quite a while before I can even think of hopping online, but, hopefully, I'll be able to update this blog from time to time while we're in Vietnam. Though, other than the occasional trip to the internet cafe to make sure my world is at least slightly in order, I'm looking quite forward to a technology-free fortnight in South East Asia. No cell phone. No Blackberry. No iPod. No laptop. (dramatic pause) Hold me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home